Sunday, May 22, 2011

Being engaged while still being a college student...


I always thought that if I got married (Big emphasis on the IF) I would be totally and completely prepared for that would entail. I would have been done with school, had a solid career, enough money to support myself, and enough common sense to actually plan on getting married in the near future...

But of course now that is not the case. Right now I am juggling summer school, planning a wedding, being broke, and being hours away from my close friends and family.

It's a little more than stressful. I have hours upon hours of homework each night (Go figure when I am only taking 3 classes) I only get to see my fiancée for maybe two or three hours a day (he's working 12 hour shifts to pay off my ring and pay for the honeymoon. Bless his heart) and I am reduced to a diet of pasta every day. (is it still possible to maintain my weight to fit into my dress when I eat two bowls of that carbalicious goodness a day??? Please say yes.)

I have tried getting a job. Believe me. I even went as far as to apply to be a technical writer for an IT company. I then thought of doing the internship route just for the experience and have heard back from no one. So now I have to resort to dip into my savings just to buy food to last me the week.

My family has been very generous in sporting me through school. I will always be indebted to their generosity. But my allowance only stretches so far and I hate asking for more money. I have even debated donating plasma but my dad is very much against it. And him being a doctor I think it's in my best interest to listen.

Sometimes I just sit at my desk with my head about to explode with how many things I have to worry about floating around in my head. Sometimes I get to the point where I want to call it all off and say "Let's try again next year."
But then I look down at my beyond gorgeous ring and feel all of the love that Clay has put into it. I feel all of my worries slip away. So what if I hardly ever sleep anymore? So what if I gain some weight? So what if I can't afford to buy makeup? I am the happiest girl in the world and in three months I get to marry my best friend who doesn't care if I wear makeup or not. I know I have some challenges right now, but in a few years they'll be insignificant.
I love Clay so much and can't wait to marry him.

Right now it's 11:30 at night and I have about 3 hours of homework left to do. So I'm going to make some mac n cheese and relish in the glow of my ring.
I'm so happy :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

your ring is BEAUTIFUL!!!! i love it!!

ok, let me answer your rhetorical questions. first of all, you are tiny. tiny tiny. so eat all the pasta you want, sister. plus, forget dieting before you get married. the smart girls know it's all downhill from there, and the guys don't know different, sooo let them be excited with the bigger you. when you whittle yourself down later, more excitement.

some ways i considered making money in school: lemonade stands, hot chocolate stands, sell your old homework, tutor high school kids, sell things on ebay, start a valet for byu. not formally, but sit in your car at the bottom of the hill and offer a ride for $2. doing this on sunday would also be great to catch the late-comers in heels...and the whole working on the sabbath thing? you can just start them a tab. imagine the success.

if those don't give you a nice cash flow, start going to costco at meal times for free samples. those sample ladies are always old and won't notice you've stopped by 4 times. and you can always get makeup samples at department stores. just go to diff malls so they don't recognize you. have i actually done this? yes. unashamed.